132 electric vehicle charging bays to be introduced in Edinburgh

ONE hundred and thirty-two electric vehicle (EV) charging bays – involving 66 EV charging points – are to be introduced in Edinburgh.

With some of the bays to be established in a couple of park-and-ride parks on the edge of the city – Ingliston (36 bays) and Hermiston (20) – the remainder are to be distributed around the town in districts such as Comely Bank and East London Street (as outlined here).

The charging points are a mix of ‘rapid’ and ‘slow’.

Says the city council (here): “Work is expected to be complete and all chargers up and running by spring 2022.”

The city council announcement adds: “The UK Government is currently accepting applications for the On-Street Residential Chargepoint Schemewhich provides funding for 75 per cent of the cost of installing electric vehicle chargers with the remaining 25 per cent of the cost being provided by Energy Savings Trust Scotland.

“Once future locations have been assessed a further report will be submitted to [the city council’s] Transport and Environment Committee, seeking permission to apply for the funding by February/March 2022. This will be used to roll out the next phase of electric vehicle chargers across Edinburgh.”

Picture credit: Place Design Scotland

Related Articles