A REFURBISHED art gallery in Aberdeen has been named this year’s best building in Scotland, by the country’s architects body.
The work on Aberdeen Art Gallery has been carried out by Hoskins Architects.
And, says the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS), here: “Hoskins Architects have refurbished and extended a fine existing building and transformed one of Scotland’s leading cultural institutions, thereby demonstrating how contemporary architecture, historic building conservation and environmental responsibility can go hand in hand.”
The annual Scots Building of the Year title is also known as the Doolan Award, in recognition of architect, the late Andrew Doolan.
The winning architects receive a prize of £10,000.
The shortlist was, as follows:
- Aberdeen Art Gallery, Aberdeen by Hoskins Architects
- Bayes Centre, Edinburgh by Bennetts Associates
- The Egg Shed, Ardrishaig by Oliver Chapman Architects
- The Hill House Box, Helensburgh by Carmody Groarke
- Sportscotland National Sports Training Centre Inverclyde by Reiach and Hall Architects
There being no award issued last year, because of COVID-19, recent winners are as follows:
- 2019 – The Macallan Distillery and Visitor Experience, Craigellachie by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- 2018 – Nucleus, The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and Caithness Archive, Caithness by Reiach and Hall Architects
- 2017 – Dunfermline Carnegie Library and Galleries, Dunfermline by Richard Murphy Architects
- 2016 – Saunders Centre, Science & Technology Building, Glasgow by Page\Park Architects
- 2015 – West Burn Lane, St Andrews by Sutherland Hussey Harris
- 2014 – Advocate’s Close, Edinburgh by Morgan McDonnell Architecture Ltd
- 2013 – WASPS South Block, Glasgow by NORD Architecture
- 2012 – Maggie’s Cancer Care Centre, Glasgow by OMA
Picture credit: dapple photography
Comments are welcome – only courteous ones (as per our T&Cs) – but they can only be posted by signed-in members. To sign up, for as little as £12 a year, please go here. Please note, comments appear following moderation (so expect a delay when submitting).