Study finds energy efficiency targets proving a stretch for housing associations

ONLY a small proportion of housing associations have begun work on implementing a robust energy efficiency standard that the Scottish Government is understood to be requiring by the year 2032.

Says the sector’s representative body, the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations, just 49 per cent of housing associations surveyed on the subject “have started work” to meet so-called Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing Two (EESSH2).

Says a SFHA announcement, here: “The research also found that only seven per cent of housing association stock currently meets the target rating for EESSH2.

“Installing all of the standard’s applicable improvements to the remaining properties, including insulation and boiler upgrades, would see this rise to 41 per cent, leaving 59 per cent of the stock unable to meet the target rating.” 

Says (here) the charity, Changeworks, which carried out the research: “The Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing (EESSH) was created to help remove poor energy efficiency as a driver for ‘fuel poverty’ and contribute to achievingthe Scottish Government’s ambitious climate change emissions reductions targets.

“EESSH had a minimum rating milestone and target date of 31 December 2020 and its successor (EESSH2) has the equivalent 2032 date.”

The SFHA defines ‘fuel poverty’ (here) when a household has to spend ten per cent or more of its income to ‘adequately’ heat its home.

It’s estimated it would cost an average £7,661 per housing association property to bring it up to EESSH2 standard, adding up to an estimated £2bn for the sector, as a whole.

Picture credit: SFHA

Comments are welcome – only courteous ones (as per our T&Cs) – but they can only be posted by signed-in members. To sign up, for as little as £12 a year, please go here. Please note, comments appear following moderation (so expect a delay when submitting).